Texan Travels Part I: Dallas

Fall display at the Dallas Arboretum

In September this year I completed my one year contract teaching in Pohang at a Montessori School and decided that it was time for a break. I really enjoyed my work in Pohang, but it had been many years since I'd taken a long break from teaching and I also wanted the chance to spend some more time with my family. So I decided not to renew my contract and to travel for the next 6 months instead.


Saying goodbye to Pohang friends :(

One last BBQ in Pohang

See you again in 2017, Korea

I started off by flying to Dallas, Texas to stay with my family for about 6 weeks. It really felt like the time just flew by. I had so much fun catching up with them and playing with my nephew. For the first time since he was born, I even got to be there in person to celebrate his birthday with him.

We also went to see the Texas state fair in Dallas, which was fun, although unbelievably crowded. So crowded, in fact, that we couldn't even make it to the fried Jello booth for a bit of unnecessary cholesterol. We did get to see a lot of long-horn cattle and a pig race, though.

Texas Long-Horn
Nothing says a good time like an old fashioned pig race!

Although it didn't feel much like fall in Texas, we did a few fun autumnal things, like going out to the Dallas Arboretum to see their big pumpkin display. It was pretty amazing, especially when you consider how hot it still is in October and that pumpkins generally don't do too well in the heat. We had a good time wandering around, letting my nephew practice his driving skills with his power wheelchair, and soaking in the sunshine.







We also went to see the pumpkin patch, which was nice but incredibly crowded. They had a good corn maze that we got lost in for a little bit, some farm animals, and some very tasty kettle corn.

My grandpa came to visit and we went out to see the 6th Floor Museum, which is dedicated to the life and death of President Kennedy. It was a surprisingly good exhibit; it sets up the political and social context well and spent about an equal amount of time on his life as his famous assassination. Outside the museum you can see the Grassy Knoll (where additional shooters may have been hiding) and the spot on the road where he was hit. It's a sobering and historically interesting place to visit.
Up at the famous grassy knoll, overlooking the street

The street in Dallas where Kennedy was shot

We also took a road trip through Texas down to the Gulf, which I'll be talking about in my next few posts on Austin, San Antonio and the Texas Hill Country.

Comments

Popular Posts